Ryan sits down for another episode, this one kicking off a series about pacing mechanics. To start off, he talked about there being some broad, different types of pacing mechanics, and focuses on one in particular: the “refresh scale” mechanics — those that happen then resources are expended in order to regain them. This idea traces back to old school D&D, but people have done interesting things with it since — including the recent edition of D&D and Dirty Secrets. To end, he talks a touch about a pitfall with designing these mechanics that he ran into when working on Mythender and urges others to consider avoiding.
- A Penny For My Thoughts by Paul Tevis
- Dungeons & Dragons Fourth Edition
- Dirty Secrets by Seth Ben-Ezra
- The Shadow of Yesterday by Clinton Nixon
- The Solar System by Arkenstone Publishing
This episode is sponsored by RPGNow.com.
Running time: 25:45 / File size: 17.7M