On this episode, we continue the discussion with Josh Roby about making epic-scale games, with the third of three points: respect, from the point of view of a game respecting its own epic conceit and NPCs respecting epic-scale PCs. Josh also gives an interesting answer to Ryan asking about how his previous master plan is coming along. Afterward, Ryan talks about “the power of names” — exploring an idea that the names we give terms in our games have a dramatic impact to how well they’re understood, illustrated by two counter-examples he’s recently come across in other games and one in Mythender.
- Kallisti Press
- Agora: how shall we live?
- Thread on Story-Games about Agora
- Sons of Liberty
- Full Light, Full Steam
- Part 1 of this interview
- Dogs in the Vineyard
- The Shreyas mentioned in the interview is Shreyas Sampat, designer of Mist-Robed Gate
- Dungeons & Dragons Fourth Edition
- Dirty Secrets by Dark Omen Games
- Actual Play thread by Jesse Burenko for Dirty Secrets
This episode is sponsored by RPGNow.com.
Running time: 21:44 / File size: 15.0M