Ryan returns from nearly a month off to talk about a topic he’s very passionate about: Emergent Play (or Emergent Behavior in Play). That is play that emerges from the people engaging and interactive with the text, but isn’t a direct result of the instructions of the text. He goes into some examples to illustrate the idea from different vantage points: the board game Diplomacy, Call of Cthulhu, Paul Tevis’ A Penny For My Thoughts, his own Know Thyself, and Beast Hunters. While he only scratched the surface, he looks forward to returning to this topic again.
- A Penny For My Thoughts by Paul Tevis (link to Master Mines site)
- Know Thyself by Ryan Macklin
- Beast Hunters by Berengad Games
- Call of Cthulhu by Chaosium, Inc.
- Diplomacy by Avalon Hill
- The Domino Challenge post on Story Games
- Master Mines
- Canon Puncture podcast
- The Voice of the Revolution podcast
Running time: 24:58 / File size: 17.1 MB